The Region of Western Greece, by implementing the European Commission’s requirements, since September 2012 launched a broad consultation on forming the Regional Strategy about Smart Specialisation emphasizing investment in research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
More information (in Greek) can be found in the following link:
It should be emphasized that the Regional Strategy Smart Specialisation configuration constituted conditionality on the use of resources Thematic Objective 1 “Strengthening research, technological development and innovation.” This conditionality has been met with approval by the EU of the Western Greece Region RIS3 July 2015.
Key steps made in formulating RIS3 of Western Greece Region are:
- Configuration Guidelines text of the development strategy for the next programming period 2014-2020 (October 2012)
- Workshop Consultation of all stakeholders (December 3, 2012, Patras)
- Questionnaires and their processing
- Thematic working groups (specialization priorities) – January and February 2013, with the wide participation of representatives of the academic and the business world
- Registration in Seville platform
The areas identified as priorities for Smart Specialisation Strategy of Western Greece are:
- Tourism – Culture
- Microelectronics – Advanced Materials
- Information & Communication Technologies (horizontal)
- Energy applications (horizontal)
All the information (in Greek) about RIS3 of the Western Greece Region can be downloaded here:
During the process of specifying the actions, the procedure of Business Discovery has been followed in order to identify opportunities for collaboration in research and business sectors through specialized workshops. The findings of this process will lead to the design of specific actions under the ROP WESTERN GREECE 2014-2020, and as useful material for other programmes.
More specifically for the area “Microelectronics – Advanced Materials“, two workshops of Business Discovery were organized in Patras, in February 2015 and April 2015.
For the wine sector, a Business Discovery workshop was organized in Patras in December 2015.
For the tourism sector, a Business Discovery Day took place in Ancient Olympia in December 2015.
For the food sector, three Days were organized:
Superfoods – Special Crops, Patras, March 31, 2016
Garden crops and crops of under cover vegetables and fruit, Patras April 22, 2016
Olive-Oil, Mesolongi June 30, 2016
For the Energy Applications sector, a conference took place in Patras, on April 2, 2016.
For the field of Information and Communication Technologies, a meeting was organized in Patras, on July 7, 2016.
In the near future respective workshops are going to take place in the field of Agriculture (September 2017).